Subscribe Twitter Facebook

November 26, 2010

Blue Alert - 13

"Carl"
-x-

WHERE was it? Where did it go? I couldn’t find it anywhere... Did I drop it? Did I lose it? I could’ve sworn I had it on me before I slept. It was strapped at the base of my back, just along the waistband. I was sure it was attached! Yet no matter how thoroughly I searched, it wasn’t amongst my hunting garbs.

I checked every corner of my base to see if I had hid it somewhere, but all I found was my spare blade. At least it was still there. Relieved by its presence, I strapped it in place. I couldn’t go out without my blade, and I wasn’t inclined to abandon the original simply because I had an extra. Who knew what would happen if someone else picked it up.

If it landed in the wrong hands, it could be used as part of a spell to track me down. I couldn’t let that happen. I couldn’t risk the thought of having the truth revealed yet. Not until I completed my task. Not until he was dead first.

Cursing the hellions that were playing games with me, I hoped they received divine punishment. Staring out the window, I ran through my head the path I had taken that night when I was injured. I would have to work backwards, starting from base all the way to the target’s home. I couldn’t remember the routes I had taken then, half of it lost to me in midst of the madness. I could only hope that I didn’t lose it there on that path because I would never be able to know where to start.

I sighed and looked down at the tree before the window. I was in no shape to be hunting, let alone searching wildly for my weapon, but I would be foolish to delay the search. The longer I waited, the higher the chance that someone or something might pick it up. This risk would put all my hunts on hold until I was certain I was safe. I couldn’t let that happen. I simply couldn’t.

With great effort, I climbed out of the window and made my way down. My leg threatened to collapse under my weight more than once, but I managed to keep myself from falling over. I limped over to the secluded corner I had taken refuge by that night and searched high and low for my weapon. I even swept my hand under the giant metal bin in hopes that I would find it nudged there.

To my dismay, it wasn’t. Which meant it was probably somewhere between here and the target. That was a long distance to cover. I might never find it.

Gritting my teeth, I started my search, retracing my steps as best as I could. Progress was excruciatingly slow, especially with an injured leg. It was light out now, but sundown was just around the corner and I would have even greater trouble finding the blade in the dark. I moved as quickly as I was able, though it wasn’t by much.

After several hours of wandering about like some lost pup, I forced myself to stop. It was nighttime now and my results were little to count for. I had wasted my time looking for something that wasn’t there, and I hadn’t even hunted down the next target. It was pathetic!

I had never been more irritated at myself before. I could’ve been close to finding him, I could’ve been close to eradicating all the evil of this town, I could’ve been done already! And yet I was being delayed, punished by His Almighty for reasons I couldn’t possibly fathom, unable to move forward for the time being.

Slowly I made my way back to base. I leaned against the tree for a while to catch my breath and rest before I tried to climb up. I hardly managed to get a good leverage on one of the branches when I suddenly slipped, my leg finally giving out on me.

Without warning, I fell. I tried to twist to catch myself, but I knew that I wouldn’t make it. Like a rock, I crashed down, gasping as I hit something hard. The impact left me dazed and it took me a moment to gather my wits about me. It was then I noticed I hadn’t touched upon the ground. Though I was indeed no longer in the tree, what I lay against was anything but dirt and grass.

I twisted around to see that it was a person I had fallen upon. And not just any person, it was that guard from before. Something Johnson, if I remembered correctly. What was he doing here? Why was he under me? There were too many questions and I wasn’t sure I wanted to know the answers to them all. I didn’t want to think of what it meant if he saw me trying to get back to my base. Did he know? Was my position compromised? I wasn’t against killing him, but if I did it now, I would be risking my safety. My base would be found out. They would be able to find me. I would be targeted long before I had my chance to finish the job.

I backed away, getting off the man. I had to think, had to pretend and lie. I couldn’t afford to have him jeopardize my safety.

The guard sat up and rubbed at his head. He looked at me and I could hardly suppress the urge to reach for my blade. “Are you okay?”

I hesitated. “...Yes.”

He stared at me for a long moment before sighing. “What were you doing climbing up there? You know you’re injured.” My eyes narrowed slightly at what he said. “You could’ve been seriously hurt just now, James. Let’s get you inside before something else happens...” He stood up and brushed off his garbs of debris, then held out his hand to me.

I stared at it in turn, not all that inclined to grasp it. I ignored the hand and pushed up to my feet on my own, gritting my teeth at the pain that shot up my leg when I leaned on it. The guard watched me all the while, but I showed no sign of surrender or defeat. I would not be trapped.

When he touched my shoulder, I stopped myself from jerking away. I let him lead me away from the tree and into the fortress. He brought me to a metal box that caged us as it moved. I felt nervous riding it; there were no escape routes here, no space to fight, it was completely enclosed. I was at a disadvantage.

Thankfully, the metal split open and gave way to a hallway. At least here I had space to run and escape. The guard put his hand on my shoulder once more and led me down the hall. I fought the urge to turn around and stick him with my blade as he ushered me through one of the doors that lined the hall.

“Sit,” he said as he pointed to one of the furniture in the room. I looked at him carefully before doing as I was told. “I’ll be right back. Don’t move.”

I watched him turn a corner into what was possibly another room. I took a look at my surroundings then, soaking it all in. The back of my mind burned with recognition, but I took greater care to memorize each inch out of precaution. When I spotted a window, I glanced back the way the guard had disappeared before getting up and going toward it.

I looked outside, squinting at the darkness. It was difficult to see, but I could recognize the tree. I now knew where we were, and if I dared, I could flee. The danger was higher than if I was at base, but it was better than risking whatever threat the guard might direct my way.

And if I paused to truly think about it, he posed a large threat. This place was far too close to my base. This, on top of everything else, was upsetting the balance of my hunt. I couldn’t properly track down my target without my weapon, and now I had to worry about being seeing by this guard on my way to and from the area. I had been so certain this area had been safe... Curse it all!

Clenching my fist, I returned to my seat and sat down. Ire coursed through me like fire. I could do little but wait for the guard to return and continue this game of pretend.

When he did, I watched as he came to sit by me. He told me his intentions and instructed me to lift my leg. My nerves scratched at the idea of him touching me, but I held my tongue as he cared for the wound upon my leg. I hadn’t expected him to grant me such a favor, but I certainly wasn’t stupid enough to be grateful. I was wary of any hidden intentions, apprehensive of the possibility of him attacking me while I was vulnerable.

He showed no signs of ill intent, however. Or at least he was very good at masking them. I didn’t trust him either way. Even when he did absolutely nothing to me, I wasn’t sure I could let my guard down. He was, after all, on the witch’s side. I had to be extra careful.

After finishing with my leg, and no side effects to worry about, the man left me alone again. He didn’t move out of sight, but he didn’t confront me either. I watched him as he sat at a table and stared at some device. He showed no signs or intention of paying me any attention, so I left him alone after a while.

There wasn’t much to do except sit there and wait. Eventually, though, the guard approached me again. “Are you well enough to go home?” I looked at him for a long moment before nodding. “Do you need help getting there?”

“I’m fine.” I didn’t want him to figure out where my base was. He was already too close for comfort.

“Alright.” He led me to the door and let me go. He didn’t follow me as I limped down the hallway, retracing our steps. I knew he was watching me, probably searching for a hole in my mask. I was certain I had none, no more a disgruntled citizen under the witch’s power than anyone else in this forsaken town.

However, I was wrong. Just as I stepped into the metal box and turned around, I saw him coming. He didn’t enter, but he stood just at its edge. “If you want what you’re looking for, come back to see me,” he said just as the metal slid closed, shutting me in.

I stood there, at first confused, but then realization settled in. Shock froze me. He knew. He knew what I was doing. He had seen. And what more, he had my blade. There was no other explanation than that; he had my weapon and was taunting me with it. If I wanted it, I would have to come back. But if I did, I compromised my safety. If I didn’t, I still compromised my safety.

I didn’t know if he was bluffing or not, but I had to make a decision. I just had to choose the right one. The consequence of making the wrong choice was dangerously high.

Returning to base, I sat against the wall and snarled in irritation. How dare he play this game with me. How dare he tempt me with such a trap. I had to get it back. If he truly had it, I had to get it back. I would. And I would kill him for it too.

Agitated that I was in no shape to do anything about it now, I forced myself to surrender to the call of sleep. I would give myself time to plan and rest before I hunted him down.

I hid away my spare blade before lying down, letting exhaustion finally kick in and drag me down to dark oblivion.

-x-

Full rest was hard to come by, but I managed to keep off my feet for the time being. I waited for night to come, just as always, before getting up. I strapped my spare weapon in place, and though I was better dressed in my hunting garb, I refused to give into the temptation and instead wore normal citizen clothing. I would play the game with him tonight.

After I was certain I was prepared, I made my way to the metal box. I couldn’t risk using the window to enter, no matter how efficient the task. Rather than risk a fall, and what more risk jeopardizing my safety by being too obvious in my actions, I traced my way up to that room he had taken me in before. I slipped on one glove and hid my hand in my pocket before knocking upon the door.

I waited for a reply, anxious. What was mere seconds seemed like minutes until the door opened to reveal the guard standing there. He looked at me for a long moment, silent in his speculation, before stepping aside. “Come in.”

I was wary of the invitation, debating my choices, before finally deciding to go in at his call. I made sure to keep eye on him as I passed, not wanting to leave myself open for attack with my back turned. Cautious of traps, I kept a look out for any signs of an ambush. I didn’t feel any other presence in the immediate area, only myself and him. This was both relieving and worrisome at the same time; either the guard had no intention of taking me prisoner, or he had confidence in his skill to do it on his own.

Waiting in the middle of the room, I turned to face the man, tense with apprehension. “How are you?” he asked me. I gave him a vague answer in return, to which he said, “How can I help you?”

This was the golden question. A loaded trap. I had to answer carefully. “...You said something to me the other time. I didn’t quite catch it and wanted to confirm what it was.”

The guard made a thoughtful sound in the back of his throat. “I did. I said: if you want what you’re looking for, come back to see me.”

“What am I looking for?”

“Something very important to you.”

“How do you even know if I’m looking for something or not?” My eyes narrowed slightly as he moved around the room. I shifted slightly so that I didn’t let him see my back.

“I was watching you.” He stopped by a dresser of sorts and placed his hand upon one of the knobs. I tensed, almost certain he was about to pull out a weapon and attack me. “I’ve been watching you for a while now.”

“And? How has watching me done you any favors?”

“I had my doubts,” he said, voice low. “I wasn’t certain, but now...” He pulled open the drawer and put his hand inside. I shifted slightly, bringing my hand from my pocket and moving it to my blade, wary. He kept his eyes on me as he pulled his hand out and held up what was in it.

It was my blade. My original weapon. He had it. He truly had it. Horror and anger welled inside me at the sight of it. This guard had picked up my weapon and held it for himself. And how he was taunting me with it. How dare he! He knew and now he was playing with me! What was his plan to show it to me? Was he going to drag me to the dungeon? Would he hang me for the killings I had done?

I glared at him. “What do you want from me?”

He shook his head. “I want nothing.”

“Lies,” I hissed.

“Then give me an explanation, James. Why did you have this on you?”

I snorted. “That’s not my name. And the purpose of my having that is none of your concern.”

His brows rose. “Then what is your name?”

“I have no reason to tell you, witch pawn.” He gave me a look as if he didn’t understand what I said, but I didn’t relent. My hand curled around the handle of my blade but I didn’t draw it, bating my time. “Now hand it over.” I nodded at the weapon in his hand.

He stared at me, unmoving despite my command. “You could get into a lot of trouble just for carrying this around.” After a pause, he continued. “Tell me what happened that day.”

“I will tell you nothing,” I spat. “Now hand it over before I force you.”

“James...” He took a step forward, then another, slowly approaching.

“That’s not my name!” I backed up, quickly drawing my blade and holding it out in front. “Don’t come any closer! Just put it on the floor and back away. I’ll pick it up myself.”

He hesitated at the sight of the weapon in my hand but then kept coming forward. I kept my distance, circling around his furniture blindly. I couldn’t afford to look away from him, wary that he might suddenly charge me. I didn’t know if he was strong or just simply foolish, but I had to be careful nonetheless. As we moved around the room, I tried not to trip over any of the furniture that littered the area. There was no pattern to how it was situated, no space to easily maneuver.

I stumbled around the corner of the corner table, catching myself against it before I toppled over. I barely had time to recover when the guard suddenly threw something at me. It was my blade at me, sheath and all. I blocked, startled, and slashed toward him in retaliation just as he lunged for me.

He dodged the attack and twisted, catching my wrist. I jerked back, swinging with my other hand. He blocked and tried to grab me again. I snarled and twisted away, stomping on his foot. He hissed in pain but still came at me. He pushed me back, sweeping his foot behind mine and making me stumble again. Momentum tipped my balance, sending me tripping over myself.

I fell back, crashing to the floor. I lost grip of my weapon upon impact, the air knocked out of me. The guard came down with me, pushing me down with his weight. I struggled, blinking back the spots of white that danced over the edges of my vision. I think I hit my head but I couldn’t tell where or when.

“Get off me! Let me go!” I jerked underneath him, grunting when he didn’t budge. I growled at him when he fought me, keeping me down and turning me over onto my front. “Witch’s pawn! You don’t know the mistake you’re making! I will not surrender!” He spread my arms out, making it difficult for me to push up off the ground. There was a heavy weight across my legs as well, keeping me immobile. “Unhand me, you vile creature! Beast! Demon!”

I huffed and heaved, trying to force him off. It seemed hopeless, though. Whatever magic he possessed, it was not something I could counter. His strength was not something I had handled before. His skill was beyond my capability to fight. Where did the witch find him? How did she manage to rally such a warrior on her side?

He forced my arms up above my head and held me down with one hand. I fought to free them despite how weak I felt against his grip. Panting, I looked at him over my shoulder as he pulled something from behind his hip. I tensed, thinking it possibly to be a blade of his own, but it was some strange, circular device. He pulled at one of my wrists and slapped the metal across it. To my dismay, the metal encircled my wrist, and with but a nudge of his finger, it tightened.

It was a shackle. A cuff. He was restraining me! Did he plan to take me alive? Would I be delivered to some greater evil? I cried out my rage and fought him anew, writhing like a snake, twisting and snarling. I snapped my teeth if I thought I could bite him, yet he kept his distance from me. He twisted my limbs behind me and fought me into a position where he could push the metal around my other wrist. I bucked and tugged and pulled with all my might to get free, yet it was for naught. Once the metal was upon me, I could not do anything to remove it.

Heaving for breath, I pressed my face against the ground. How dare he. How dare he! A hand pressed against my back, keeping me in place. I longed to throw him off me, yet I lacked the strength. My leg burned as though it were on fire. I could’ve sworn I had reopened it during my struggle. The pain raced through my body, adding to my misery.

When I felt the guard shift above me, I looked at him over my shoulder as he got up and turned over so that his back faced me. I couldn’t see what he was doing, but I could feel his hands upon my legs and feet. I could only guess what he was doing before I felt something wrap around my ankles.

“What are you doing?!” I demanded.

“This has to be done. Otherwise, you’ll just run off without talking to me properly.”

“I have nothing to say to you, pawn,” I spat.

He turned back around to face me, turning me around so that I was on my side. I tried to kick him, but my legs wouldn’t cooperate. This damn guard tied me up like a hog! He pressed a hand against my body, keeping me still, and sighed as though he were regretful. For what! This was a victory for him. I should’ve been the one to feel regret. This never should’ve happened. “You will if you want to be free. I’m trying to help you.”

Help? Hah! What lies. He might as well not have even bothered to open his mouth. I would never fall for his tricks.

The guard got up and pulled me with him. I tried to pull away, tugging against his grip, yet he warned me, “If you want me to tie you up more, keep going.” I was no fool to challenge him on it. I kept still as he carried me and set me down on one of the furniture in the room. He searched my person of any other weapons or possessions before taking them away. I had naught by the sheath of my blade and the other glove.

“Don’t move,” he ordered before stepping away. I watched him move away, picking up my weapons, sheathing my blade, and taking them somewhere I couldn’t see. I sighed heavily and leaned against the back of the cushioned settee. My fate was sealed, I was sure of it... Should I just resign myself to execution, then?

When the guard came back, he sat across from me. I stared at him and he returned my gaze, studying me like a hawk. “And what will you have done with me?” I asked, when I could no longer stand the silence.

“For now, I just want to talk. We’ll decide on what happens later.”

We? I almost wanted to laugh at his choice of words. We. As if I had any choice in the matter. “And? What is there to talk about? What could I possibly say to someone like you that you would understand?”

“You don’t know that I won’t understand unless you tell me. And if I don’t, I’ll ask you questions. We’ll be fair about it.”

“There is no such thing as ‘fair’ in this world, witch’s pawn. You are blind, just like the rest of them. And you will continue to be blind no matter what I say. This conversation is pointless.”

“Try me.”

“I would rather try killing you instead,” I snorted, averting my gaze. “You, and the rest of her minions, should be gone from this world.”

“Her?” he repeated, arcing a brow.

I glared at him. “Her. Yes, her. The witch, who else?!”

“I don’t know a witch.”

“Don’t lie to me. She is your master, is she not? Why else would you be doing this? Why else would any of them have done what they did? I would not be here if it weren’t for her! For them! All of you are at fault and you dare to play this game with me?!” I spat, sneering at him. Wounds of old bled true within my body. It had been a long time since I buried them deep, never to surface again, yet this guard was playing the fool, forcing me to recall all those memories, the ones I had taking such great care to block out!

Oh how I hated him. His wounds were like daggers, twisting in my gut. I longed to put a few holes in him with my blades and make him experience the same level of torture I went through.

He watched me with unblinking eyes. Much to my disgust, I had to congratulate the witch for tricking this guard onto her side. He was not an easy opponent in the slightest. “What did they... we do to you? What happened?”

I barked out a harsh laugh and shook my head. “No. I am not playing this game anymore. I am not going to answer your questions. I will not obey your commands.” I looked away from him, refusing to meet his eye. Even when he asked me the same question, even tried for different ones, I did not open my mouth. I refused to speak, no matter what.

I expected him to insist, and insist he did, but soon enough he gave up. He apologized to me as he wrapped me in something I couldn’t name, further immobilizing my limbs. He then left me, like this, on my own. I could do nothing but just stay there where I was and breathe. There was nothing else for me to do.

I tried numerous times to break free of my shackles and binds, but all I did was tire myself out. I exhausted myself to the point of weariness, my consciousness slipping away slowly like sand between the fingers. I fought the desire for as long as I could, cautious of what might be done to me in my sleep, yet I couldn’t fight it forever. Without warning, I closed my eyes and immediately fell asleep.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger