Subscribe Twitter Facebook

November 2, 2010

Blue Alert - 5


“Carl”
-x-

PRISON. This was the dungeon. No, maybe not entirely, but it was damn well close to it. Those weak willed guards left me with this fat idiot. What a mistake. What a stupid move. Why the hell did they chain me to him in the first place? Why did he insist that I stay here?

I needed out from this witch infested place. I needed to be somewhere that wasn’t so obviously touched by her. It was nighttime now, my favorite hours, and I had all the opportunity to escape. Ainsley was in his private chamber, probably asleep. I waited until I was sure before sitting up.

For a watchdog he sure had a lot of faith that this prison would hold me in. But I was familiar with the locking mechanisms, and I was mere steps away from the exit. What an idiot. I could do whatever I wanted and he would be none the wiser.

Getting up, I looked around at my surroundings, committing every nook and cranny to memory. I looked down at myself in turn, disgusted that I had been manipulated into wearing these cursed garbs. If I had the choice, I would’ve torn it off and gone back to my previous attire but I couldn’t recall where they were.

I would have to suffer in these for now. Grimacing, I looked toward the window and approached it. I took a look at the locks and carefully pried them open. I had to be careful as I did this; I didn’t want to waken the man who was supposed to be watching over me and alarm him of my escape. I slowly opened the window and peered outside. Clouds rolled overhead, darkening my surroundings. A glance downward told me I was only a tree’s height from the ground. I could jump down if I wanted to. But I’d need a way back up...

As much as I hated it, I couldn’t run forever. Not yet. It wasn’t the time to turn heel and leave this all behind. I had to make sure everything was put into place first. Until then, I had to pretend to be a good little village idiot.

Glancing around, I looked for a ledge or branch. It wasn’t much, but there was a sill on the window below. If I put my foot the right way, I could climb up and down without too much trouble. Grinning, I tested it out, carefully climbing out and lowering myself. It was rather easy to do; I did this on a regular basis to escape the various prisons I had been put in over the years.

They thought they could keep me, could seal my fate, but I proved them wrong every time. I found a way. I utilized my resources. They could drag me back as many times as they wanted. Nothing could hold me in by my own will and plans for the future.

Jumping down into a crouch, I glanced around to make sure no watchdog or guard had been alerted of my presence yet. Seeing, hearing no one around, I straightened up and made my way across the field and stone. I couldn’t travel along the main roads tonight, and possibly not for a long time, not after so recently disposing of that witch. I would have to lay low for a while.

I weave through the alleys, bare feet crunching over grass and other foliage. I avoided the areas where hounds were prone to stalk their territory, wary of them catching my scent and alerting their masters.

A forest was near, small but quiet and uninhabited. Only the wild lurked here, and it was naught by birds and small woodland creatures that either stuck to the trees or burrowed underground. Most of them were asleep now, and too comfortable in their slumber to cause a ruckus at my arrival.

Sighing, I trekked through the forest. The trees gradually became sparse and opened up to a large field. There were various structures to one side, and emptiness beyond. I didn’t venture any further, more at ease concealed here amongst the trees than in the open when anyone or anything could spot me. It would be stupid to get myself caught so soon because of some stupid mistake.

I leaned against the bark and sat down, somewhat tired. I had to think of how I could elude the guards. They were suspicious, I knew, and if I wasn’t careful, they would know I killed their beloved witch. I couldn’t let them figure it out. I wouldn’t be put to slaughter.

With a sigh, I stayed there under the tree a while longer. I soaked in the sounds of nature at this dark hour before finally returning to that prison. I made use of another townsman’s water supply to wash my feet and hands before climbing up to the window. I made sure no one was around to witness my return before closing the window behind me. I had to make sure my garbs weren’t dirty before laying down to rest, certain that I would only draw more suspicion if I left behind any form of evidence.

It was only when I was just as I had been before that I finally closed my eyes. Sleep took over me almost immediately, but it wasn’t anything to be alarmed over. I knew that if I was patient and bid my time, things would go my way. When I opened my eyes again, the plan would be set in motion.
-x-

The routine of escaping my prison in the later hours was something that continued on for a few days. I disappeared during the night to wander the town and take a look at my surroundings. Poison burned in my body, making my blood boil in my veins. It was the witch’s curse, I knew, but there was no way to fight it. Sometimes I had to succumb and let the darkness sweep over me. I always woke fatigued, but there was little I could do to change this fact. It was something I had to deal with.

The inconvenience that the poison brought made me work harder, pressed to do as much as I could during the few hours I was able to function. I could only imagine what would happen if there came a time when the poison would take me over completely. It was frightening. I strove to conquer it. I would win against it eventually, I knew.

But it would be a long, hard battle. Because the witch was dead, I would have to track down her faithful minions and dispose of them before they came after me themselves and forced my hand. I couldn’t remember them all, though. In fact, I didn’t. So long had it been since I last saw their faces or remembered their names, I wasn’t sure if they were even in the vicinity. Hunting them would prove to be a challenge, and I didn’t know what would happen if I failed to slay even one.

Would they contact each other? Would they rally together to take me down as one? Would I be subject to torture? What if I accidentally let one escape during my efforts to subdue them? What if they ran to the guards and sent their watchdogs on me? It was a tricky business.

On a half moon night, I woke early. My sentry was still awake, but I paid him no mind. He was in his chambers, preoccupied. I noticed that with each passing day his interest in me gradually waned. It was only a matter of time before he ignored me altogether. Hopefully by then he wouldn’t even notice my disappearance.

I had been granted a few spare garbs to wear over the last few days, so I no longer wore what I had the first night. I approved of this wear, slimmer in fit and less obstructive. It wasn’t nearly as hard to move around in as was those other garbs. Which in turn made climbing and vaulting obstacles all the more easier. Footwear was also an improvement. Though I questioned the choice of style, the material was comfortable and made gripping easier. Traction was the word, something I couldn’t do without.

I opened the window silently as I had done time and time before, and checked my surroundings. Seeing nothing suspicious, I carefully made my way down. I trekked along the grass and made my way to the forest as I had done the first night. I didn’t stop though; I kept going, making my way around the edge of the clearing to the other side. I still wasn’t brave or stupid enough to dare put myself in the wide open.

On the other side, I took the back alleys again. I avoided the roads as much as I could until I finally came to my destination. I brushed myself off, making sure I looked the least bit suspicious before stepping out into the open. The road was teeming with life. Like ants milling about their tunnels, so were the townspeople. It was perfect cover, though I had to be careful and not draw attention to myself. Surely there were more witch supporters in the masses, waiting for me to slip up.

I walked upon the cobble, blending with the crowd. It was a block before I came to a shop, still open even at this late hour. It specialized in blades, the finest application of smithery. I stepped within, planning only to peruse the selection. I would make my trade after I had found something worth bartering for.

Greeted upon my arrival, I gave a nod in acknowledgement before making my way to the shelves. “Is there anything I can help you with, sir?” a worker asked me. Probably only an assistant to the true smith.

“No thanks.”

“Well, we close in about half an hour. Until then, take your time. Call me if you need anything.”

I waved him off, waiting until he left me alone to occupy himself with something else. Some of these blades were unfamiliar, and I wondered if the smith was a very diverse creator. Could he create a special blade, perhaps? I piqued my interest to see all these various shapes of handles and blades. It was a strange fashion.

It took a while before I found a few blades that looked promising. Calling over the assistant, I persuaded him to let me hold them and test them out on a few expendable objects. I especially was drawn to one. The grip fit nicely, the weight comfortable in my hand. It is said that blades choose their masters, though they do not choose what they cut. I believe this blade chose me, just as I chose it.

The price of barter was high, but luckily I had just enough to trade with. I still wondered how or why I managed to accumulate a fair amount of coin and paper during my imprisonment, but now wasn’t really the time to ponder on it. After trading with the assistant, I left the shop, putting away my prize on the go. It wouldn’t do to show evidence that I was armed, especially not after being held suspicious.

Disposing of the excess wrapping, I continued my walk amongst the roads, blending with the townspeople. Slowly, the plan would come into place. As soon as I truly escaped my prison, I would hunt down the first of the witch’s minions and slay him. But while I bid my time, waiting for the suspicion about me to leave, I would prepare. I would gather my slaying gear and hunting materials and have it all ready for the golden hour. This blade was but one piece of the kit, and soon it would be joined by others.

Oh, how pleasing it would be to rid the earth of these foul creatures. How satisfying to know justice would be had. Soon, all would be right again. Then I could finally rest and be at ease.

Stepping around the corner, I took the long way back to my prison. I made use of my time by looking through shop windows for more provisions. I would have to remember which shops would be most beneficial to my plan. Weapons, hunting garbs, poisons, antidotes, traps, rope or twine, daily necessities... I would also need to find the proper spot to dispose of the body afterward. Leaving it out in the open as I had done with the witch would not be wise; her other minions would be wary and put up their guard; the guards themselves would be even more suspicious of me, I’m sure.

I would also need a place to hold them. Perhaps it would be best to go scouting for a new base first.

I continued to roam, my aim changed to look for a new place to stay. Once my imprisonment ended, I would relocate there. There was a fortress that caught my eye. There were many doors and windows, which possibly meant I would be surrounded by prying eyes, but there were also many exits and escape routes should I find the need to flee. It was almost like my prison. Perhaps I could use that to my advantage.

Pleased, I made note of the location before continuing my way back to my prison. I was tired, even though I hadn’t been out that long. The poison in my body simmered under the surface and I knew that if I didn’t rest soon, it would put me at a great disadvantage. I hurried back, climbing through the window with practiced ease and quiet. Listening to silence, it was easy to guess Ainsley had finally gone to sleep, and without so much as noticing my absence. How naive of a watchdog.

I hid away my blade before lying down, truly exhausted. Though excitement coursed through me, I could not fight the call of darkness, pulled down under with nary a fight.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger