Subscribe Twitter Facebook

November 8, 2010

Blue Alert - 9

"Carl"
-x-

HUNTING was tricky. Hunting took skill. Patience. Hunting was not for novices. Not the type of hunting I did, at the very least. Though I would not attest that my skills were superb, it was by no fluke I could slay my target. I had practiced many times on smaller targets, creatures that wouldn’t be missed, that could easily be used as rations.

I remembered when I first started out. I was a fool then, and was nearly caught red-handed. I had learned how to lie then, and believably too. I learned to act the fool, and put on a mask that hid away my true intent. Yes, I learned to hide. I learned to vanish from the face of the earth and leave behind no tracks.

Some might call me a sorcerer, gifted in magic, but I wasn’t. I simply had the skills to survive. I knew when and how to dodge danger. I knew when and how to eliminate it too. This time was hardly any different.

I had sensed it while in the shadow. As yet another day had passed, and the dark hours crept upon me, I woke to the feeling of evil. It was like something had found fancy in licking up my spine, slow and wet, sending shivers all throughout my body. It was disgusting.

At first I didn’t know where it came from, he source obscure to my senses, but then when it called out to me, I immediately understood.

I had hoped my first slay would be upon the breast of one of the witch’s minions, but I wasn’t all that disappointed in finding a substitute. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if this one was one of her hidden acquaintances. Or perhaps a victim to her bewitchment, even after death. Seeing that face, that twisted look in his eye that spoke of poison, I knew I had to purge him.

As the night slowly covered the earth, I waited until the target was a good distance away before following after. I had no plans of confronting him tonight, but instead would follow him to his cove. He took a carriage, which made it hard to follow, but I did not give up. I traveled as far and as fast as I could until I lost him on one of the main roads of the town.

This would be a slow process, especially since I tired easily. I had to take my time. I couldn’t confront the prey before the time was right, or all would be for naught. For several nights, I continued this routine, following the route my target took, gradually getting closer and closer to his private cove. The process drained me, even when I pressed to wake earlier and start the hunt sooner. Rest was far too essential for my body and as much as I wished I could be done with it, to have full control of the day as I once had, long time ago, I was powerless to the call.

All I could do was nudge and hope I gained even a minute more of time. And slowly, I did. It wasn’t by much, but it was enough to allow me to track my target all the way back to his home where I witness him enter and carry about various nightly routines. I hid amongst the branches of a tree and observed him through the window. What a fool he was, to not conceal his presence with drapery. He didn’t even care to douse the lights or check outside to assure he wasn’t being followed.

If he really was related to the witch, she surely was lacking in judgment of her pawns. They were stupid. Brutes, but stupid. But perhaps that was all she needed. Perhaps she only required a subject of hellish strength who could pin down her victims and make it impossible for the escape as she prepared for their slaughter.

I shuddered and pressed a hand to my heart, praying silently that when I stuck the final blow, this poor creature would be free from the witch’s curse.

I left soon after and laid to rest my hunt until next time. I allowed sleep to wash over me for hours on end, resting, recovering for as long as I dared before waking once more. The hour was early and I changed into my nightly garb. I armed myself with my blade and added a strip of cloth around the bottom half of my face and around my head.

Since that first time I returned to the witch’s lair, I had been sure to further equip myself with more gear. I had gathered cloth to help conceal my features and hide me in the shadows of night. I also obtained gloves from the local shop. They had a nice grip to them, and made holding my blade easier.

It was like this I climbed out and moved through the foliage. I traced my way across roads, back to my target’s poor excuse for a base and waited for his arrival. I was familiar with his routine now, and could anticipate when he would let his guard down.

I waited and watched when he entered. He prepared himself something to eat, which I encouraged because it would be the last meal he would ever sup. I was pleased when he found reason to open a window before disappearing deeper inside. I waited until he doused the light before making my way over.

He probably didn’t expect an expert such as I to climb up. He probably thought any possible hunter after his own head would be just as stupid. I had to suppress the urge to laugh at this foolishness as I pried the window open wider. With practice and ease, I slipped inside and crouched low to avoid the stream of moonlight.

I listened to the sounds coming from another chamber deeper within and slowly made my way toward it. A door blocked my way, and I had to resist the urge to barge in and take him then and there. Instead, I looked around and searched for his private chamber. I found it just a little deeper within and went inside. I unsheathed my blade and gripped it firmly in my hand.

At least he didn’t have any pet demons about, or this would be doubly difficult. I paused to listen to the sounds that continued from where I came from before continuing inside. There wasn’t much space to work with, but I could make do. In fact, the most obvious and primitive of methods would be best for him.

Seeing a small corner just behind the door, I moved into it and pressed myself against the wall. I checked for mirrors to see if my presence would be revealed beforehand, but to my luck none were facing this direction. I hadn’t anticipated this, but I certainly was not foolish enough to complain.

Silently, I waited, steadying my breath. My heart fluttered in my chest and I fought to calm it down. It dared to defy me, beating faster when the sounds beyond stopped and I could hear a door opening. Silence followed, then the shuffle of footsteps slowly made their way closer. I could taste it on my tongue, feel it upon my lips. Victory. Justice. Purity.

All cast in but a matter of seconds.

Light flooded the chamber as the footsteps continued within. I waited with increasing impatience as the footsteps continued until it was safe to slip out from behind the door. Slowly pushing it away from me, I moved as silently as possible before suddenly tackling the target to the floor.

We crashed heavily, and I knew the surprise would only last but a moment, so I moved quickly. Grasping his hair in a tight fist, I yanked back and brought my blade before his throat. I could feel his body tighten under might, tense with knowledge that his life was about to end.

“W-Who the hell are you? Get the fuck off of me!”

I had no obligation to answer. Instead, I rammed his face against the floor before bringing it back up. I pressed my blade against his throat once more and hissed in his ear, “This is punishment for your sin. And salvation for the evil you were tempted to complete.”

“What?! I don’t know wh--”

“Silence!” I snarled. “Blame the witch for cursing you as you meet her in Hell.” I didn’t give him another moment to speak. Pulling taut, I sliced deep, yanking my arm across. Blood christened the floor, splattering the surroundings. I was intrigued by the display, but also saddened. How human it was, how seemingly normal, but no matter how plain it looked, no matter how innocent, I knew that in truth it was tainted. Poisoned. Cursed.

Just like mine. No, not like mine, my own blood was darkened in a different manner, but we both bore evidence of the witch’s evil upon us. At least he, that poor fool, would be at rest. I would have to wait for my own end to come later, once I slayed the witch’s minions.

I cleaned my blade before getting up and looked about the chamber. Seeing nothing of importance, I turned around, dousing the lights as I went. I quickly left the cove, leaving no trace of my existence behind. I had debated the thought of bringing back with me a souvenir, proof of my task, but I had never been in the habit before so I immediately abandoned the idea to favor a clean escape.

I took a long, complicated route back to my base, just to make sure I did not let make the mistake of leading anyone back to me. Who knew if there were bloodhounds who could track me down. I didn’t know the full extent of the demons humans could employ. As far as I did know, there were too many, and I didn’t want to risk one of them being lucky.

When I climbed back through the window, I was exhausted. Glee coursed through me, but so did fatigue. I found comfort in the bath, where I shed my hunting garb and washed of the blood that clung to the fabric and my skin. I hung the fabric afterward and practically collapsed as soon as I was done, barely making my head to the pillow before my eyes closed.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger