Subscribe Twitter Facebook

December 28, 2010

Blue Alert - 15

"Carl"
-x-

“ARE you going to open your eyes or just continue lying there?”

Slowly I opened my eyes, glaring at the one who sat across from me. I had feigned sleep, keeping my eyes closed, but it seemed I couldn’t fool this one. Not this guard. I was not tied down this time, which meant I could run if I needed to, but he was too close to give me any space advantage.

I pushed the quilt from around me and sat up, turning to face him. I had no weapon on me, I had no advantage in the slightest. And I knew he was wary of me. As we stared at each other, I knew he was studying me. I had to be careful around him, and making a foolish choice would only prove catastrophic on my part.

“So? What do you want?”

“As I’ve said before, I just want to talk. I have some questions for you.”

“And I have no answers.” I snorted. This would be another waste of time.

“If you cooperate, I’m more inclined to let you go.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “That’s a lie. Only a babe and a fool would believe those words. I am neither. What reason could you possibly have for letting me go? It contradicts your duty.”

“This is for me and me alone.” I looked at him suspiciously. It didn’t make sense, why would he do such a thing? This was surely a ruse to make me lower my guard. “It’s your choice to believe me or not. The fact doesn’t change that I want to talk to you.”

My lips pulled into a thin line. I still didn’t trust him. “...Fine. Ask away. It will get you nowhere.”

“We’ll start from the beginning, then. You said you weren’t James. If that’s not your name, then who are you?”

I hesitated.

“Well? James had a middle name. Are you Scott?”

“No,” I snorted. I was irritated at the very mention of it. The witch called me that during her last hour. What a fool, to not even realize the truth. “I am no James nor Scott nor any other poor fool. I am Carl.”

“Carl?” Johnson’s brows rose slightly. “I see. Tell me, why do you have a hunting knife?”

“For hunting, of course. My blade is of great importance for survival.”

“Against what?”

“Not what, whom.” The man looked at me in question. I decided to humor him by elaborating, daring to risk the consequences. He was bound to ask me anyway. “Against the witch, her minions, and other such vile evils.”

“You never told me who this witch was.”

I shook my head. Though brutally strong, this guard was not all that intelligent if he kept forgetting who his own master was. “The witch, the witch! Who else could it be, fool? She is the one who tricked us both. She fooled everyone around us with her charm. You were there that day, weren’t you? You were at her lair with all those other sympathizers. That day we first met...”

I waited and watched as Johnson thought. I could tell he was searching his memory for the truth in my words. He would recall that day, I was certain. “You mean the morning your mother was killed?”

“She is not my mother,” I snapped, glaring at him. “How dare you insinuate such a thing.”

His brows rose high. “Then what is she? A witch? The witch?” At my nod, he continued, “Why is she a witch? I don’t understand.”

Clicking my tongue, I shook my head. “Of course you don’t. You’re under her spell. I will reeducate you.” I leaned forward, giving him a hard stare. “She is no human. She is a demon in disguise. She tricks other people with her sweet smiles and silly talks. She lures them in, casts her magic on them, and sometimes even lets her precious pets loose on the nearest victim for fun. Whoever happens to be close at hand.” My lips pulled into a thin line at the memory.

He gave me a long look, meeting my gaze. “...And who was close at hand?”

The muscles in my neck and shoulder tensed. My chest felt tight, stalling my breath. I didn’t say anything. I would not reveal that truth. That horror.

“Who were the... ‘pets’ she set loose on this victim?”

I took a moment to calm down enough to answer. “Random people she took in and made into lovers.”

“What exactly did they do?”

I looked at him blankly. “Made a toy out of the victim. Played their games. Told their lies. Had their fun...”

Johnson shook his head. “That’s too vague for me to figure out. Can’t you tell me in detail?”

“No.”

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He looked at me for a long moment, obviously thinking. I let him be, waiting for his next question. I wasn’t fond of this conversation and hoped he had nothing else to ask of me. I wouldn’t bet on such a wish coming true, though. I knew better. When he leaned forward, resting his elbows upon his knees, I was already listening. “How long has this been going on? You said something to me -- I’m certain it was you -- that you had been attacked for many years. What did you mean by that? You never answered me.”

I laughed dryly, and shook my head slowly. Only now he bothered to ask me such a question? Did he care or was he just curious about the answer? Well, it didn’t matter anyway, because I wouldn’t welcome his concern anyhow. It was too late for that.

“My eleventh spring.”

“What happened?” I shook my head at the question, saying nothing. I was humored by the exasperated look he wore. “You never told anyone?”

“Who would believe the words of a youngling?”

“Anyone would. You could’ve told another adult what was going on.”

I sighed and leaned back, smiling at him wryly. “Have you never been threatened as a young lad? Have you no sense of what it is like to having someone so much larger than you, breathing down your neck, demanding your cooperation or else something terrible will happen? You have no choice but to follow orders and let events take their course.”

I watched as his expression changed. I was pleased to know that I had made some effect on him. Though the poison was still coursing through his veins, I had planted the seed of a cure. It was too late, I knew, but at least now he understood his mistake.

“Are you done asking me questions now or must we continue?”

Johnson didn’t reply right away, but eventually he shook his head. “Just one thing. If I want to talk again, will you answer and tell me what I want to know?”

“...Maybe.”

“I won’t tie you up again so long as you don’t attack me. And I’ll consider giving your knives back if you indulge me.”

I studied him, frowning. I thought this was only a one-time deal. Apparently I was wrong. “I’ll think about it.”

The man got up. “Then I’ll leave you alone for now. Goodnight, Carl.” He left the area, leaving me on my own. I watched and waited, expecting him to come back, but he didn’t return. I looked around myself then and saw that he ha truly left me to my own devices; if I wanted to, I could run away.

I hesitated. Should I? I needed my blades. If I left now, I would just have to come back. And the only way I could get to them would be if he gave them to me. I knew not where they were, nor did I have entry to this place without dangerous climb on legs that couldn’t support the act. If I played by his rules, perhaps I could get him to empathize with me and give me my weapons. If I was lucky, maybe I could even use him.

It would take time, though. And I didn’t want to run the risk of him doing something rash and set me up for failure.

Slowly, I lied down. I would play his game. I would allow this side adventure to take place before I returned to my mission.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger